Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day two at Yung Wing

We have had our second day of camp at Yung Wing. Lots of little kids. The second day was easier than the first. We're having fun. We're singing songs. We're playing games. We're doing crafts. We're looking stern. Those of you who know me well know can appreciate me in charge of a room full of 36 six-year-olds with paper cups, glue, markers, crayons, shoe polish, and masking tape. But it is really cute when they say "teacher" and bring their African drum to me for a nod of approval.

I'm developing a pretty good friendship with my teaching assistant - Ryan. He's a fourth grade music teacher in one of the public schools in Zhuhai. I'm looking forward to our ongoing opportunities for conversations about lots of things.

The teacher training team arrives tonight. Piers will come directly over to Zhuhai to help at Yung Wing. Bridger will fill in for me at Yung Wing on Thursday and Friday while I'm at the teacher training in Doumen. The rest of the team will stay tonight in Hong Kong and then come to Zhuhai tomorrow. I'll meet up with them at Jumbo's tomorrow evening.

During the day tomorrow, the entire Yung Wing camp is going to an amusement park - Pearlland. We used to go there as a family when our kids were little. Bridger, Piers, Ryan and I will be in charge of 18 kiddos. What a blast!

Luke